3 Steps To Convince Your Boss
STEP 1 — Be Prepared
- Review the full SOAHR program with 35+ sessions and map out your customized conference agenda. Choose a mix of sessions that benefit you personally and that can expand your whole team’s expertise and improve your work.
- Download this “Convince Your Boss” letter along with this printable PDF of the Agenda-At-A-Glance. Be sure to highlight the sessions you’d like to attend, and list specific speakers and companies you’re interested in hearing.
- Be ready to discuss why attending SOAHR will make you a better asset to your company.
STEP 2 — Pick the Right Time to Talk About It
- Lay the groundwork with the letter, then schedule a brief meeting to state your case in person.
- Explain the ROI on sending you to the event.
- Walk through the conference website together to review the program and speaker lineup.
STEP 3 — Leverage Your Communication Skills
If you need help overcoming common objections, take a look at these responses below:
Objection: “It’s too expensive.”
Your response: “This isn’t just a three-day event. Its benefits will carry over through the rest of the year and beyond, so it’s a great value. I’ll capture detailed notes from every session, so our whole team can learn along with me.”
Objection: “You can’t be away from the office for three days.”
Your response: “I won’t be totally away from the office; with free wifi during the event, I’ll be able to stay connected at the same time I’m gathering information and best practices that will take our team’s work to the next level.”
Your closing argument: “When I get back from the conference, I’ll schedule a download session with you and the team. I’ll present my notes and speaker handouts from all the sessions I attended. I’ll recommend new ideas for our entire team and how it can be incorporated into our processes. I’ll show you all the great resource material I picked up in the Exhibit Hall from vendors who can save us money. Sending me to the conference means elevating our whole team — and when our work improves, you look good, too.”